Many times project information or activities are not well organized and it is up to the project manager to provide this structure. It is amazing the number of times on a project people run around disorganized and inefficient.
Examples of where structure gets created are below…
- Crafting information into a story for a presentation
- Providing a template to collect information that will be analyzed to solve a problem
- Organizing the work into a project plan
- Setting up meetings to resolve issues or make decisions
- Facilitating action items, issues, risks and decisions and keeping track of them
- Taking over a meeting that is not going anywhere and driving objectives to completion
So managing projects is more than just looking at activities in the plan – a lot of times we need to organize the work so that people are marching in the right direction.