With the 2012 Summer Olympics ending I came to thinking that, similar to Olympians we as Project Management professionals are also finely-tuned performance machines with our own set of events.
Here are some examples:
- Project Financials: Managing our budgets is like archery with a gold medal going to the person who gets their financials closest to their budget
- Risk Management: Managing risks is like kayaking with the gold medal going to the person who avoids as many obstacles as possible
- Marathon Running: Seeing how long we can go and push our teams without having them crash with the gold medal going to the team that runs at the right pace and still meets its goals
- Communications: Working with as many stakeholders as possible with the gold medal going to the person who’s team is in alignment the best
- Sparring: When conflicts come up being able to mediate the boxing match to a neutral outcome
In order to be at the top of our game for these events we also need continuous training and preparation so keep working on your skills and refining them and one day you too can stand on the podium for gold.