As I watch the news I can’t help but to think that there are some people that are just not meant to be in the Project Management profession. Here is a short list that I compiled and some reasons for why they would not make good Project Managers.
- Tiger Woods – Has challenges managing scope. Specifically he has allowed too many unapproved change controls to his stated commitments. The end result will be severe financial losses on his project
- Octomom – Does not manage scope well and accepts more than the project resources can handle
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad – Does not solicit feedback from the team or manage stakeholders well
- David Letterman – Hard to be a good PM when you are impartial to all of the female team members
- Kim Jong Il - Doesn’t have an external communications plan
- Saddam Hussein – Was not managing his risk plan very well and as a result had significant challenges on his projects in Kuwait. Also hard to manage a project and interact with the team from a hole in the ground.
It would probably be unfair to only focus on people who would make poor Project Managers so let me also recognize someone who would make a great project manager – Captain Sullenberge (“Sully”) who was able to calmly land a plane in the Hudson river and save all 155 passengers on-board his plane. He is someone that has demonstrated the ability to remain calm and meet his commitments.
Feel free to comment if you can think of others